Prev | List | Random | Next
... goes unpunished. A strange turn of events in the story of the police shooting of Air Force Security Forces Senior Airman Elio Carrion.
First, The LA Times profiles Jose Luis Valdes, the man who recorded the video of a San Bernardino County sheriff's deputy shooting SrA Carrion:
Valdes released the recording to a KTLA Channel 5 news reporter Monday. The station, which is owned by Los Angeles Times parent Tribune Co., paid $5,000 for exclusive rights to the footage, Valdes said. He said he wanted the tape to be shared with other news outlets, and for KTLA to donate the money to Carrion's wife.However, shortly after that interview Valdes, who fled Cuba in the early 1990s, visited a federal immigration office to renew his immigrant registration card. There, Immigration officials discovered he had an outstanding warrant from Dade County, Fla., on charges of aggravated assault. They contacted the police, and Valdes was promptly arrested and jailed.
The public should see this, Valdes said.
"The enemy didn't touch that guy" in Iraq, he said. "He was saved in Iraq only to be shot by one of his own."
Valdes said the incident was a chilly reminder of his own youth in the Cuban military: After returning home to Havana after two years of fighting in Angola, he said, police severely beat him for visiting a prohibited store.
Valdes said he and his longtime partner, Grecy Duarte, immigrated to the United States by boat in April 1993, seeking political asylum.
"To see what I saw, I felt like I was there," Valdes said of the altercation outside his home. "I felt like I was the guy; like I was 21 years old once again, that I had just come back from the war.
"I lived through that," Valdes said. "The same thing happened to me in my country."
A Los Angeles County Superior Court judge Tuesday set bail at $100,000 for fugitive Jose Luis Valdes, the Chino man who recorded images of a San Bernardino County sheriff's deputy shooting an Air Force security officer Jan. 29.In a related story:
Valdes had two outstanding warrants for aggravated assault in Florida, and was taken into custody Friday while visiting a federal immigration office in Pomona to renew his immigrant registration card. Valdes' arraignment on charges of being a fugitive from justice was postponed until Thursday.
If Valdes agrees to waive an extradition hearing, the fugitive charge probably will be dismissed Thursday and he will be handed over to Florida authorities, said Sandi Gibbons, a spokeswoman for Los Angeles County Dist. Atty. Steve Cooley.
Valdes' video has been broadcast nationwide and is a primary piece of evidence in the investigation of the shooting by San Bernardino County sheriff's homicide detectives and the FBI.
"Without the video, the police could have said anything," Carrillo said.
The airman, Elio Carrion, was shot in the chest, leg and shoulder, said his wife, Mariela. He was released from Arrowhead Regional Medical Center in Colton on Friday night.
The life of Valdes, 38, who sells used cars in El Monte, has turned upside down since the shooting. Now he is in jail, away from his family, including two daughters aged 11 and 4.
As San Bernardino County sheriff's detectives continued their investigation into a controversial, videotaped shooting by a sheriff's deputy last week in Chino, the district attorney's office announced that no criminal charges would be filed in a separate videotaped shooting by a deputy in August.Original post here with a follow-up here.
In that incident, a store security camera showed an undercover deputy firing into an SUV at a Rialto shopping center, killing the driver, Antuan Conners, 20.
It isn't for his good deeds he is being punished!
Valdes had two outstanding warrants for aggravated assault in Florida
So beating someone upside the head and neck with a sack full of doorknobs is excusable IF he releases a recording to a news channel for a quick buck.Posted by Yogimus at February 9, 2006 02:26 AM
RE: The Other Shooting
"In that incident, a store security camera showed an undercover deputy firing into an SUV at a Rialto shopping center, killing the driver, Antuan Conners, 20." -- Greyhawk citing a separate story
Dead men tell no tales.
The victim, Conners, was not pointing a weapon. He was trying to flee. And they shot him dead.
We've seen shoot to kill training in effect in the police force for a LONG time now. Incidents include, in Denver, a 63-year old man, in bed, with a can of Coke in his hand, in a mis-addressed No-Knock raid.
That berserk stolen-tank driver in CA some years ago. The tank was immobilized. The cop killed the guy, outright.
The litany goes on and on.
Airman Carrion is luck to be alive....
Chuck(le)Posted by Chuck Pelto at February 9, 2006 12:39 PM
I have been hoping for news on how Elio Carrion is doing, as far as I have heard he is doing well (thank goodness). But I will be interested though to find out how the cameraman's case pans out.
Semper Fidelis!Posted by MarineMom at February 10, 2006 02:22 PM Hide Comments | Show/Add Comments in Popup Window(4) | (Note: You must refresh main page to view newly posted comments here)